Thursday, August 29, 2013

The Garden


A few years back we decided to put in a garden. My hubby spent endless hours adding new soil and compost, seeding and planting. Most of the garden was overgrown by weeds (which was supposed to be my job) and what crops weren't over taken simply grew tall and never produced any vegetables...all except beans. We ate A LOT of beans.

So it took a few years to convince my hubby to put in another garden. We started from scratch this time and changed the location. We built a box, added soil, put up a fence around it, planted and seeded. So far we have had great success. Our crops include; peas, beans (both yellow and green), pickling cucumbers, tomatoes, Swiss chard, lettuce, onions, carrots, radishes, herbs (basil, parsley and oregano) and squash.

Presently I am on maternity leave so I get baby's nap time to work on and harvest the garden and have been loving every minute. It has been so satisfying putting dinner on the table with produce from the garden or mashing up baby food from things we have grown. Hopefully I will be able to find the time for it again next year, but for now it's off to the garden for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment